Nordik Folk

We are a Scandinavian Culture Club who meets Monthly September-May on the 3rd Monday of each month at Ridge United Methodist Church on Columbia Avenue in Munster, IN. 6:30 pm. All are welcome! We enjoy Scandinavian culture by celebrating the holidays, music, language, crafts and history of Scandinavia!

Thursday, March 2, 2017

January: Happy New Year!

     Happy New Year Nordik Folk!  At this Month's Business meeting on January 16th we worked on planning future events.  Cultural Leader Lynda Smith passed around a Culture Program & Refreshment sign-up sheet.  We ask that if you have a great idea for a Culture Program and would like to present, or know someone who would like to come and present please put it on the calendar.  
     
     Based on an Online Questionnaire circulated by Lynda smith, you are interested in Kubb, Craft Night, Dance & Language Instruction along with area field trips.  These interests will guide our calendar.  

 NEW GENEALOGY NIGHT: In addition to 2nd Monday Genealogy (which will continue through March at the Ridge United Methodist Church) we will be adding another Genealogy Meeting at the Munster Public Library on Calumet Avenue every 1st Tuesday.  Please join us! there will be free wifi which will allow us to do some internet research and learn about free resources.  This is led by Herb Smith.  Please call the Library to Register at: (219) 836-8450 or go to there events calendar at http://www.lcplin.org/events/events.html and sign up online.


Vasa Order of America
Nordik Folk No. 761
January 16, 2017
Minutes of the Meeting

1.       Opening: Chairman Tim Ogrentz opened the meeting at 7:00 pm. Katie Westlund read the Chaplain’s Message.

2.       Attendance: Linnea Ogrentz, tim Ogrentz, Sofia Nelson, Annelise Nelson, Tonia Tomky, Lynda Smith, Phyllis Kalajian, Carolyn Kuzminski, Lisa Raddatz, Lisa Pearson, Mike Pearson Sr., Herb Smith, Ronald Allen, Elizabeth Flores-Allen, Katie Westlund, Michelle Westlund, Steve Westlund, Harry Ogrentz, Beth Raddatz. Guest: Kristine Pearson.


3.       Membership Applications: None

4.       Minutes: The Minutes of the November 21st  Meeting were accepted as read.

5.       Financial Reports:

·         Financial Secretary Jean Ogrentz: No report
·         Treasurer: Beth Raddatz
o   Main Account:
Deposits: Dues-            537.00
            Glogg/Festival  734.00
            Sales/Festival     12.00
            Int. May-Dec.       4.97
Balance:                       5389.94
o   Scholarship Fund:
Deposit: 50/50 Fest       106.00
Balance:                       1868.42

6.       Committee Reports:
·         Youth: Lynda Smith reported that Nordikids will begin on Feb. 13th.  She asked everyone to spread the word and invite new families.  There will be a critter theme with dance, crafts, language and trips.
7.       Unfinished Business: None

8.       Planning for Future Events:
·         A Cultural Program Sign-up sheet and snack sheet were passed around.
·         Activities will be planned based on the questionnaire that Lynda Smith emailed to everyone.  Members were interested in these activities:  Kubb, Craft night, dance instruction, and language.
·         February 13: Genealogy with Herb Smith at Ridge UM at 6:30 pm.
·         February 20th: Installation Potluck at 6pm.  Linnea Ogrentz will invite District Deputy Susan Nilsson to assist with the installation.  Everyone was asked to bring a dish or dessert to share.  A list will be circulated via email.
·         Nordik Faire: Past Faire Coordinator, Lynda smith, announced that she would not be able to continue in that role this year.  Katie Westlund volunteered to be the new Event Coordinator.  Her committee is: Annelise Nelson, Sofia Nelson, Karin Schaffer, Michelle Westlund, Lynda Smith and Linnea Ogrentz.  The date is April 29th at Westminster Presbyterian Church.  Committee Members will be contacted by Katie Westlund for planning.

9.       New Business:
·         Delegates to the District Convention May 5-7th   at the Oak Lawn Hilton in Oak Lawn, IL.  With 59 members, we are allowed 4 delegates for Nordik Folk.  Nordikids is allowed 1.  If you would like to represent our Lodge, email Linnea at ogrentz@gmail.com.  Those who have never been a delegate will be considered first.  The Lodge usually provides expenses for one night hotel.
·         Flower Fund: It was moved by Lynda Smith and seconded by Steve Westlund that we have a flower fund of up to $40 to be used to send flowers in the event that a members’ parent, spouse or child should pass away.  All were in favor.
·         Nordik Folk Website: It was moved by Lynda Smith and seconded by Steve Westlund to  allot $250 for someone to update the lodge website. Mike Pearson volunteered.  All were in favor.
·         Stipend for Secretary: It was moved by Linda smith and seconded by Katie Westlund to provide the Lodge Secretary with $250 for services.  All were in favor.  Checks will be dispersed in March.
·         Church Donation: Every year we donate $100 to Ridge United Methodist Church for space usage.
10.   Annual Business: Election/slate stands
11.   Good of the Order:
·         Chairman Tim Ogrentz apologized to the lodge for having inadvertently missed November’s Good of the Order and thereby failing to mention the death of Diane Rosengren.  She is member Ingrid Lesko’s Mother and was a long-time Vasa member as well as a supporter of Vasa Children’s Clubs.  He felt terrible.
·         Herb Smith announced that there will be genealogy starting up again on February 13th.
·         Herb Smith also announced that he was contacted by the Munster Library who informed him that our time slot for their meeting room every 1st Tuesday of each month was available.  Since we are done with the Viking Lecture Series’ he suggested that he can do a genealogy (census/sources…basic lesson) on February 7th.  It was then discussed that we utilize the space for other things: Book club, dancing, various documentaries etc.  He encouraged us to take advantage of this resource to keep our outreach in the community and also said that we have to call to sign up.
·         Michelle Westlund presented Annelise Nelson with a card and gift from the Lodge to help her thrSough a difficult time.
·         Herb Smith announced that he had some glogg left and would be selling in at a discount (one time only) and reminded everyone that this is the only Lodge Fundraiser each year.
12.   Closing: Chairman Tim Ogrentz closed the meeting at 8:05. The next meeting is February 20th: our Installation Potluck.
Culture Program: Lynda Smith brought all of her Scandinavian magazines to pass out.

No comments: